Monday 29 October 2012

Reading Reflection #5


The House of the Scorpion #4
 

Book: The House of The Scorpion

 

Author: Nancy Farmer

 

Pages Read: 40-62

 

The House of The Scorpion

 

 A lot has happened. I went on a little bit of a reading rampage back at the beginning of the month, and since we haven’t really had time to do any book reflections I’ll try to do the best I can with this one. With everything that’s going on in the book we learn a word, this word is brought several times by younger kids in the book, and each time its in the worst contexts ever, “Ejit”. I predicted this word was obviously bad, my first thought was that it could be some kind of swear word, but then I realized they were referring to something, someone. The next few pages in we have an answer to our prediction. An “ejit” is a dirty word for a clone. With this now in the front of my mind I make a text to text connection. In Harry Potter, they have a dirt word for a none magical person (mudblood), to me this is a connection that helps me understand the significance of the word.

 Much like I predicted before, Matts getting into trouble. The boy learns he loves music, he discovers this by spying on a woman who is playing piano. While spying he hides in a closet, one day Matt was listening to the mesmerizing music and discovers there is a back door to the closet. This leads Matt to a secret passage way that takes him all around the house. As soon as I read the words in front of me warning signals go off in my brain. What kind of trouble is matt going to get into?

 In this novel, there are a lot of names and family connections, for example. A while back we met a character called Mr. Alacran (for now lets just call him Mr. A). Mr. A is married to the woman I mentioned above, the musically gifted one, her name is Felicia. For the past few years Felicia has been very ill, she is always tired and very unsatisfied with her life. Another family connection to Mr. A is his father who is called “El Viejo”. When we are first introduced to this man we learn that he has cancer, knowing this it leads me to a prediction and a question. I believe El Viejo will play a huge part in this book, even though he might not live for very much longer, I have a feeling he will set off an event that will either hurt or help Matt. My question is how?

 

 

Till Next Time. C

No comments:

Post a Comment